Ikea curtains

Many months ago I made an entry on these... At the time I sorted out the kitchen and today it was time to sort out the sewing room/guest room/room-with-a-view-to-the-jungle...

For some reason, even with non sticky Velcro, it took me a bit of time to find a technique to achieve my task... And as I finally did manage to do so, I want to share my experience to avoid the pain to others:

1. Throw in the bin the Velcro that comes with the curtain... it is useless, and if you attempt to sew it, it will only ruin your needles and even the machine.... don´t tempt fate.
...
2. Buy sew-able Velcro in your local shop, or check in your local market, as woolies closed down on the high street... I have noticed that Sainsburys sometimes have some
...
3. Place it over the fabric, and pin it to position.
...
4. Choose the thickest of your needles, as you will need to go through plastic!
...
5. When sewing, sew through the fluffy side, rather than the other side... the reason is because when the needle goes down and needs to go back up again, it does get hooked on the fluff increasing tension and the thrust with the plastic... this means that the thread keeps on breaking.
...
And until IKEA find a more user friendly system... good luck :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment